Ratings System

Trash It | Borderline Bad | Cuts Only | Meh... | Noteworthy | Buy It Now

Thursday, March 1, 2012

This Week in Music: T. Swift Proves Once Again She's a Boss


If you know me, you would know that the marquee interview in my short journalistic career (whether it continues or otherwise) is when I talked with then-rising country sensation Taylor Swift in August 2009.

It was my first major interview. I had to organize my questions on the run. The story was on deadline almost as soon as I got back to Penn State for my junior year. I sent an e-mail a day to her publicists. I was tweaking. However, all my work paid off. I made it through to a conference call with five or six other journalists. Everyone would have adequate time to ask a few questions.

My name was called about second to last, and, of course, the publicist didn't pronounce my name correctly. I allow the phonetic butchering of my family name go by on a daily basis, but all I could think was, Common! I want to be seen like a professional here! Not that T. Swift knew my name anyway. But the damage was done: I was flustered. Famous person!

I managed to stammer and stutter my way through my questions. They were about returning to perform in her home state of Pennsylvania for the first time since her new album skyrocketed up the charts and about why she thinks she appeals to a wide age-group. She answered every question thoroughly even though she might have needed a translator to cut through my nervous Esperanto. I'm not embarrassed to say I was starstruck.

Before I could wipe my sweat off of the cordless phone (didn't want to risk my cellphone cutting out), some jackass from the Yale Daily News jumped in for his turn. You could tell he was in no mood to be there. Instead of yachting or perfecting his resume for Merrill Lynch, he was talking to Taylor, who in his mind yet another doltish girl with blonde hair too oafish to get into college and was lucky enough to become famous. His odoriferous smug seemed to waft through the receiver — everyone could tell he was about to goad T. Swift into a hostile interview for kicks.

"Will you ever do a video where you don't kiss in the rain?" was one question I remember that I think captured this a-hole's general tone ... that and a little scoff at the end.

Instead of doing what I would have done by telling this Ivy League d-bag to f&ck off and go back to glee club practice, Taylor had the poise and professionalism to answer every question with a quick laugh and a sincere answer. There was no defense! BOOM! He resigned with a quick and submissive thank you — whether or not he hung up the phone afterward is something I couldn't tell.

To this day, I am not only amazed with Taylor Swift's kindness toward me, but also with her aplomb and confidence toward bullies. Considering the themes of her songs deal with that subject frequently, she has some experience. After that altercation, this attitude must be genuine. People ask me about her all the time. Is she nice? Count on it. A terrific human being ... scary nice.

That's why I was so excited, but not too surprised, to hear this story:


This 18-year-old kid from Sommerdale, N.J., named Kevin McGuire was diagnosed with leukemia — the second time he's had to combat this terrible illness.

It came at a pretty bad time for any teenager because Kev was considering who to ask to his senior prom, which coincidentally takes place on his birthday.

His sister, Victoria, started a campaign to get one of his favorite singers, Taylor Swift, to go as his date. Many people contributed to get the message out — the Philadelphia CBS affiliate, CBS3; Philly sports-radio personality Mike Missanelli; and over 120 thousand Facebook friends. Unfortunately, Taylor would not take Kevin up on the offer.

Instead, she sent him this message:

"Kevin, I'm so sorry bit I won't be able to make it to your prom. But I was wondering, the [American Country Music] awards are coming up. Would you be my date? Love, Taylor."

Obviously, Kevin said yes. He's going to Vegas for the awards, baby!

As a Penn Stater, I come from a community that feels very strongly about young people with this disease. If you're unfamiliar with Penn State's THON, please check it out. I'm really happy for Kevin and wish him nothing but the best as he beats this back.

Through this his action of kindness, Taylor Swift has affirmed all the good things that I've said about her. At this point, I might have to buy a CD just to show my support, even though I'm not a big country fan.

So congratulations, Kevin. You're going to Vegas with the classiest date in the place on April 1. And if that Tim Tebow character decides to join you as the third wheel, tell him to take a walk around the block, will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent."

Victor Hugo